Ports of Dubai (Port Rashid & Jebel Ali), Khor Fakkan, Fujairah & Abu Dhabi in United Arab Emirates are well developed container ports serving as “Hub Ports” for various Shipping Lines serving the Mid East Gulf region.
U.A.E. is located at 24Âº North and 54Âº East, bordering the Gulf of Oman on the Indian Ocean and the Middle East Gulf. Its strategic location midway between Europe and Asia, makes it attractive for ship owners to Hub over UAE ports.
Besides these “Hub Ports”, U.A.E. also has container handling capability in ports of Sharjah (Mina Khalid), Ajman & to a limited extent in Ras Al Khaimah & Umm Al Quwain.
Throughput handled by major UAE ports in 2003 :
Direction of Import Container Trade :
Major sectors contributing to the containerized import traffic in UAE ports are as follows :
- Far East Asia & South East Asia (Approx. 55%)
- Europe & Mediterranean (Approx. 20%)
- Indian Sub Continent (Approx. 15%)
- North America (Approx. 5%)
- Others (Approx. 5%)
Direction of Export Container Trade :
Major sectors contributing to the containerized export & re-export traffic from UAE ports are as follows :
- GCC countries & Red Sea Region (Approx. 25%)
- Africa (Approx. 25%)
- Indian Sub Continent (Approx. 22%)
- Far East Asia & South East Asia (Approx. 10%)
- Europe & Mediterranean (Approx. 10%)
- Others (Approx. 8%)
RHS database contains valuable time series which will be useful for analyzing the market trends.